Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Radars...

The reason I really don't like them "winter radar"...All it is, is a program some places use to color in where the radar thinks the snow mixed and rain is falling...This is mainly done with SFC temps computed into the program,so for the most part I find this to be off or wrong...It may be a guidance tool for those who really don't understand radar completely...Tho I would have to say this the WSI was for the most part right on with this past weekend event, as far as mixed precip goes...
Just like in the spring through fall...I don't like all them TVS,Hail,and Meso detectors...For the most part they are wrong,or never even show up....Here again it may be great for people who have little or no forecasting skills,however that could end up being a problem if one uses, that and tells everyone radar has a torn sig on it.That word spreads like wild fire and before you know the word is coming from the NWS and the truth of the matter is the word hasn't...SO one has to be able to really know how to read the radar to really know if there is a possible tornado there...Just cuz there is a torn sig there, in reality there may be no such tornado there...I have noticed many times when the radar had them little icons for tornados,and yet there was no warning issued....Just something to think about...I have years of research on radar under my belt ,and many hours put into learning how to read the radar..Unlike most new media and most people...Something I need to know when I'm out chasing storms...I read the radar wrong I could end up on the wrong storm,or worst yet I could end up dead...Just my take on radars...