Thursday, August 20, 2009

Detailed write up

Detailed write up to yesterday's event with a few rants here and there...
Many questions were asked during Yesterday or comments were made about the afternoon event......The one I like or hated the most "this is not tornado weather" My reply was oh really,I did not know there was such a thing a "tornado weather" in all of my 25 plus years of chasing I never had a clue there was such a thing as 'tornado weather"...Lets get this straight right off the get go....Tornadoes can happen anytime any where,and in every month,if conditions are just right...Whether it's a hot humid day with very good instbly and wind shear...Down to the cold air set up with little intsbly and very good wind shear..As long as we got some lift and strong wind shear in all the levels of the atmosphere....I've seen tornadoes when the air temps were in the 40s....So there is no such thing a "tornado weather"..Yesterday the cloud cover and showers kept INSTBLY very low hence there was very little thunder...Wind shear yesterday was off the charts...Which brings me to this..."I was surprised this happen"..Yes I have heard or read that from forecasters and people who forecast as a hobby....Well if one would have looked at everything they would have seen the wind shear very strong and well in place and knew something could have happen...So did this surprise me ? NO not all ...Infact I was thinking about leaving work around 2 pm and go chasing...I didn't and kick myself for not doing so...However no biggie as I got off work at 4 pm all heck was taking place...So headed for Eastern Polk/Western Barron County....Like I said in my post below saw many spin ups,very brief lasting no more than a few seconds tops...All the spins I saw were in Barron County...See post below as to where...Again no damage was seen...Highest wind gust I had was around 45 MPH,enough to blow some twig and leaves around..That was out in the different areas I was in...The 45 MPH gust was read just East of Cumberland on 8th street...With a 40 MPH wind gust here at the office...\

Ok so what was the setup for yesterday's event...Simple low pressure moving across MN while it did the low started to deepen rather fast....Yes computer models showed this very well...The Low moved over the Cities then into Western WI....I do have to laugh I had seen some write ups on this and some are saying a front...No there was no front in the area,just the low pressure...Temps were in the 60s to lower 70s,while dewpoints were in the upper 50s to lower 60s so moisture was already in place...There was no SFC heating taken place with the clouds and rain around,this held Instbly down to a min see above....However wind shear was off the charts...Winds veering with heights along with speed...This was enough to produce the short lived tornadoes.....Again I'm not sure if I like the term tornadoes for the what I saw in Barron County...More like land spouts and or spin ups...And there were random spin ups..Nevertheless conditions were right for these short lived tornadoes/spin ups....So now you know the real story to what had happen...That is if you didn't already see the NWS page...Which matches up rather well with this write up....
Pictures will follow later tonight or tomorrow night.....(when time allows)