Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lake Superior pictures more tonight.











Above are some pictures I took yesterday...A friend and myself went up to Lake Superior on WI point...Was a great day under mostly sunny skies,What was really cool we got to see LES forming over the open waters and pushing onto land some miles away from where we were...The pictures show large areas of ice that have been pushed up onto the beach and about 100 yards out over the water from the waves some of the ice hill where 20 to 30 feet high! highest I have seen them is sometime...Yes we walked right out there to the close to the edge of the ice cliffs...Will say this if anyone plans on doing you should know that is very dangerous as them ice chunks could break off and you could be on a trip out to sea...Another thing one was to watch out for is voids in the ice pack,or hollow areas...You step on one of those areas you might be saying good bye to the world...I used an ice pick to guild our painstaking way out there...If anyone does not know how to listen to the ice I sure would not be going out there...The ice will talk to you and let you know what it is, it is planning on doing..If you understand you will have enough time to get to another safe area...I just can't stress this enough..I have grown up on ice,as I love to ice fish so I learned how to listen to the ice..Then when I started go up to Superior I had to learn a lot more as this is not solid ice like most people think..I'm not trying to sound like I'm bragging about what I know about Lake Superior's ice and it's ice mounds...However many years of going up there and learning everything I can about the lake...One thing I know for sure Lake Superior is not a lake you can't trust whether it be in the winter or summer...Yes we have been 20+ foot swells let me tell you it's not fun..You don't want to tempt Superior if you do she may very well clam you..You just have to remember she is the boss and will tell you when she does not want you around...
I'm really not sure why I love it up around and on the Lake...I know I do though...