Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The stormchasers show/my takes on it

First off the bat I'm not bashing the show or anyone on it....I have meet a few of the chasers from the show out in the field some really nice people...Also got the chance to meet other chasers from around the this great Country....

Ok my takes on the show....It's ok reason I say this is all you really see is the fun part of chasing..You see the tornadoes and storms...What you don't see is the very long hours of forecasting and driving...I have said this many times,and will keep saying it...Thanks to shows like this it brings out the yahoos and wannabe chasers that have no idea what is really going on,and should not be out there.If most people would know all the long and lonely hours that go into a few mins to maybe an hour of chasing(as far as really seeing something ie tornadoes ect...)I do think that would help cut down on the wannabes and yahoos...When I watch shows like this one I watch for the tornado footage and the to see how many people I know...I could care less if some team wants to risk their lives to get that one time vid...We all know what team that is....Plus that team gets way to hyper...This drives me nuts..I will say though he does get the great vids..

Back to the long lonely hours of chasing....Days before the event real chasers are studying the computer models and picking their target areas as the day near closer we get our chase target down to within 50 miles or so...Then comes the long drive..Sometimes 100s plus miles to only see clear blue skies...Not to say all the money that we stick into a chase....$500 to well over $1000...You have to like to travel,ride,drive,and then sit for hours waiting for the storms to blow...Also you need to know how to forecast..Some people I know I call the watch box chasers...Well they are not real chasers...Just wannabes in my book....I have seen many tornadoes outside the watch box areas I can't even count how many(nothing against the SPC) but nature does not play in the boxes or lines...Any chaser will tell you this...Then you got the spotters who try to keep up with us chasers...Kind of funny...For whatever reason they think they are chasers....Really they aren't....Then we got the local chasers...A person who chases a County or two...Come on that is not chasing that is storm spotting....By now some are saying Dirk sometime you chase local why is that...Well it is because the conditions look great for around here compaired to some where else...Plus sometimes it is just nice to do a local chase,home in my own bed that night.....I will have more on this when I get home from work today....