Monday, January 19, 2009

How much snow has falling so far this winter ?

So how much snow has falling this winter so far, and were are we as far as ave winter snowfall....
This info is for Barron County only......
As everyone remembers from Oct through the end of Dec we had 40.75 inches of snow...So far this Jan we got 14.25 inches of snow, this does include the fast 1/4" we picked up this morning.....So 40.75 + 14.25 = 55.00 inches of snow so far this winter....
Ok on the ave we get 48 inches of snow in the winter...So we went above the normal snowfall for the winter,how much above normal are we...Lets do the math.....55.00" - 48.00" = 7"...So far we are 7 inches above normal for the winter....With still over 3 1/2 months left to go...Looking back on my winter forecast I posted back on Oct 28th....I forecasted above snowfall for the area, most areas have already hit that...So that verified rather fast,which I'm a little surprised..I think it would pan out until March,but that's great....
Looking at the temps...So far this winter we have been running below norms...I also forecasted colder than ave for the winter...So far this has been the case....This still can bust on me...All it will take is to get a few weeks of temps WAY above norms to bring the winter ave temps up...I still feel this winter is going to turn out colder than norm...That is colder than ave...Still feel there will be some warm periods through the rest of the winter as we head into FEB and MAR, however if we take the whole winter and ave it out I feel it will be a colder then normal winter...So far the temp forecast is working out great...The main question is will it hold up ? We shall find out soon enough..