Thursday, June 25, 2009

Life of a storm chaser/pictures






So you think life of a storm chaser is fun/easy glamours..Well think again..Let me run you through my day/night...First let talk about this week..So far I think I only slept only a total of 4 hrs so far..Last night around 11 or so I got to bed only to get right back up...Did a lightning chase,this time around I busted either darn trees in the way or city lights...I should have said the hell with it,but I didn't trying to get that million dollar shot that never happen..It happens sometimes..Got back home around 3 AM only to get back up to a phone call telling about storms in MN..So got out of bed looked at the radar sure enough..Drank about a pot of coffee,then hit the road..Pictures above from this morning's chase..Ok as a rule my day starts from 3 to 4 AM looking at the latest computer runs..If it looks good on the road by 6 Am...Sometimes I don't get back home until later that night...All depends where I end up at..Yes there are time I go out only to bust, but it happens to the best of us..There are time I don't see sleep for a day or two..Power naps is what I live on on chase days/nights..So if you want to be a storm chaser be ready for lots of sleepless nights/Days..Then you have to deal with people stopping and asking you what you are doing,or asking if "are we going to get a bad storm" Then they want to see all of my equipment,as a rule I don't mind talking to people when in the field,but when there is a storm moving in I really don't have the time for chit chat...Then you are now dealing with people who think you are being rude or an asshole,just cuz you don't have time to talk..So I'm not sure why people think storm chasing is easy/glamours...I will be the first to say it's not.I will also be the first to say I love it!.I know were it all come from...TV programs that don't show you the down times of chasing,only the good parts of it...This morning I decided to call off the chase do to the idiots out there..Plus the chase area was getting harder,more trees and hills as I got into Dunn County..Might have been a good thing..Did end up getting a dying shelf cloud between Chetek and Cameron..So all in all it was a good local chase..Counties covered this morning...Southern/Central Barron,Northern Dunn and Chippewa...Looks like the next chase day will be tomorrow afternoon into the over night hrs...Ok time to put these pictures and yesterday's rainbow and sunset on my website..So yeah a no sleep day for this chaser...Well tonight it will be,after I get back from fishing,yup silver lake here I come after 9:30-10 PM....